Wednesday, April 8, 2015

The Maker Movement and how it could impact my future classroom

The Library Learning Commons (LLC) is a large, flexibly designed space where students learn how to access, use and create information ethically.
Many schools are attempting to incorporate the Maker Movement into their curriculum by creating maker spaces where students can create things as part of the learning process.

It's easiest to think of the Maker Movement in terms of how it can impact science or math classes... building robotics for example.   However, I will be teaching history/social studies so I've been thinking of ways that I could use the maker movement in my class.

I think there are many ways to incorporate the maker concept of learning through doing into social studies.  I could use it to have students work collaboratively on writing projects or presentations.  It could be used for map making projects as we learn about different cultures. They could also incorporate some science as we learn about various inventions and inventors.  For example, the class could build catapults as we study medieval times.  Or students could plant a garden /make clothes and learn about the food American Colonists ate and the way they lived.   I think that is one of the great things about the Maker Movement:  it fosters the blending of many different subjects into one area of learning!



No comments:

Post a Comment